Description of the Job
We are looking for an experienced Firmware Engineer to join Airbus Defence and space in Portsmouth. You will join our Modem team within the UK Delivery group.
You will help develop new features and performances for a Software-Defined Radio using System-on-a-Chip technology. While you will be initially focused upon use within a single satellite communications system, it is the intent that the techniques and technology that are developed will be reused to create a product that can be sold in multiple systems.
Because of this, the role has potential for long-term stability and will be central to an important product-line providing industry-leading products to the market. This position is an excellent platform for building a fulfilling career, with many options and scope for additional responsibilities through the life of the programme and products.
It is expected there will be a degree of learning during the course of the project and product. The team has a long tradition of supporting the development of its members, involving them in the development of the products and this is reflected by our very high levels of engagement.
You will need to be able to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Task and Accountabilities
- Design, implement and test the firmware elements of a product in response to requirements set by the systems team
- Resolve technical needs, supporting the integration of this product into systems
- Focus on embedded firmware (though we are willing to bring you up-to-speed if you have a willingness to learn this skill)
- Be open to learning and applying new skills, tools and technique
Your role could involve very occasional travel within the UK and worldwide.
- Comfortable designing, implementing and documenting Firmware to customer needs
- Working knowledge of Xilinx FPGA technologies (including Vivado) and VHDL design lifecycle
- Some experience with Matlab, Simulink of SysML or UML
- Any experience working in an Agile or Scrum environment would be beneficial
About the Skynet 6A Project
Airbus Defence and Space provides a range of space-based services to customers worldwide including supporting the UK Armed Forces, and its NATO Allies. Airbus has owned and operated the Skynet military communications system, providing 24/7 services across the world for more than 15 years on behalf of the UK MOD.
In July 2020, Airbus Defence and Space signed a contract with the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) to extend and enhance the Skynet fleet. The project involves the development, manufacture, cyber protection, assembly, integration, test and launch, of a military communications satellite, Skynet 6A, planned for launch in 2025.
This contract for 6A demonstrates the strong working partnership we have with UK MOD, built on the success we have jointly achieved on the Skynet 5 system since 2003 and continues our long tradition as the UK national milsatcom end-to-end services provider. We are now actively recruiting to grow the Skynet 6A delivery team and have a number of vacancies across a diverse range of disciplines.